The Swedish Genealogical Society of Colorado (SGSC) is a family history organization founded in April 2007 by descendants of Swedish immigrants. Some of our members have descended from Swedish ancestors who settled in Colorado; others are descendants of Swedish ancestors who settled in other parts of North America.
Since our founding by this small group of intrepid enthusiasts, we have grown to 100+ members.
The purpose of the SGSC is to assist members in their genealogical research by:
- Encouraging the pursuit and preservation of Swedish-American family research;
- Collecting, sharing, and disseminating knowledge related to Swedish genealogy, including locating, preserving and indexing public and private genealogical records;
- Sponsoring events related to Swedish culture, and genealogical research resources and methodologies;
- Publishing materials that aid research of Swedish ancestry with a focus on immigrants and descendants living in the State of Colorado and the Rocky Mountain Region;
- Collaborating with and supporting other genealogical and cultural organizations, and libraries for the benefit of members and the general public; and
- Instructing members in genealogical research through careful documentation and the maintenance of quality genealogical standards.
Our monthly programs focus on topics which assist those interested in learning more about their Swedish roots through Swedish history, genealogy and culture.
Past programs have highlighted: accessing online historic maps of Swedish parishes, techniques for preserving family documents that document our heritage, and understanding the use and access to electronic Swedish data sources such as the church parish records and Swedish census records.
Members share their diverse experiences tracing their roots in North America as well as their discoveries back to their ancestor’s homelands.
SGSC sponsors annual holiday events linked to traditional Swedish celebrations including our popular Christmas Julbord, a potluck featuring traditional Swedish foods and music. SGSC members have traveled to Lindsborg, Kansas, to participate in the Svensk Hyllningsfest. In addition, the Society has sponsored two day-long Swedish Family Research Fairs and hosted the 2011 SwedGen Road Tour in partnership with Community College of Aurora.
We welcome all who are interested in learning more about their Swedish roots or those who simply are interested in the Swedish-American culture.